Samsung’s exploding battery takes another shape after safer replaced Note 7 catches fire today. According to initial reports from The Verge, a Southwest Airlines flight was grounded and evacuated this morning when a Galaxy Note 7 began smoking in a passenger’s pocket.
The Note 7 issues are widely-known, and left Samsung footing the bill for an extensive recall that required the phone’s owners to trade theirs in on newer, safer replacements.
This device, however, was one of the replacement models. The passenger confirmed he had swapped the phone on September 21 and the black square and green battery icon on the replacement phone confirm this.
The device started smoking on Southwest Airlines flight 944 from Louisville to Baltimore, leading to a full evacuation while still at the gate. All passengers and crew exited the plane safely and no injuries were reported.